Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Help the Homeless in this Bitter Weather

If you've taken one step outside in the past two days I'm sure your aware too that America is experiencing record-breaking cold temperatures, none of which we have seen the likes of for two decades. Here in Chicago, it was -11 degrees yesterday with a wind chill of -42. That's crazy! So crazy that I have seen multiple you tube videos of people throwing boiling water into the air and it comes down as snow! 

I'm sitting here on my day off, not too affected by the bitter cold because I'm bundled up in many many layers, multiple pairs of socks and I have the heat blasting in my house. But I can't help to think that others aren't so lucky. 

There are currently 21,000 homeless people in the city of Chicago alone. I doubt they have many many layers and heaters blasting at all times. In this freezing cold any exposed skin will turn to frost bite in on average 7.5 minutes. After doing a little research, however, I was comforted to see that the city is aware of these dangers as well and have taken measures to help. Homeless shelters that would normally be at maximum capacity are not turning anyone away and the city buses are allowing these homeless people ride continuously (when they would normally be kicked off), even overnight if they have to. 

I was very impressed with our cities compassion and will to look out for these people in need, but then I wondered, why can't we do this all the time and not only when these people's lives are in danger? This may help them stay warm for a few nights, but in the long run their situation is not going to get any better. We need to make these kinds of commitments to their well-being all the time and search for the long-term solution as well because no one should ever have to live like that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment